Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Celebrities!


We all love them...singers, rockstars, athletes, actors, etc. Admit it. You have a celebrity crush, right? We dream of meeting them. When they tweet us, we freak out. If they wrote us a letter, we'd keep it forever. We cherish their autograph. We listen to their music 24/7, watch their show every night, join fandoms and groups on the internet, share their pictures everywhere, talk about them all the time (drive our friends nuts), write blog posts about them, watch every game they play... Must I continue? 

The point of this post isn't to go on and on about the famous and popular people we love. In fact, I only said that to make a point. This morning I started thinking about God. I know what you're thinking at this point. Wait, we went fro actors, singers, and athletes to God? Where is this going? 


So all the kinds of people I mentioned above have a platform. They've done something to get to the place they're at. Think of God though. He's not a mere human...He's done so much! He created the earth and everything in it. That includes people...so what are their accomplishments? 


"What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" 
-Psalm 8:4 

To top it all of, Jesus paid for the sins of the whole world through His death on the cross so that we could have eternal life. If we're talking about celebrities, nobody could be more of one than God and Jesus are. Interesting thought, isn't it? 

So...the question--do we treat God like a celebrity? We may say we love Him, and perhaps we do. However, we don't act like it. Do we freak out about Him? God deserves the love we give to the famous people...and much more. We really should be cherishing His word as much as we fangirl (or fanboy...don't get mad at me) over a tweet or letter we get. We should want to spend time with Him praying and reading the Bible. I'm comparing it to a fandom...but honestly, He deserves so much more. I just don't understand how we can give so much of our attention, time, and energy to some imperfect human when God is the only one who truly deserves it. I'm not saying I have it all together because I don't. It's easier to freak out about what you can see and forget about what you can't...but I'm challenging all of us to reach out to God and give Him our love and admiration. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment